Updated as of 05December10
1. The purpose of the challenge is to discover new books and writers while learning more about, well, everything.
2. The challenge will begin on January 1st, 2011 and will end at midnight on March 31st, 2011.
3. Everyone is welcome to participate and may join at any point during the challenge period.
4. Tasks can be completed in any order.
5. All books must be longer than 299 pages to receive points in this challenge. We will allow one, and only one, exception to this, apparently, ironclad rule.
6. No re-reads are allowed.
7. YA books were originally omitted from this challenge. After some discussion it was decided to allow one exception, only. I really do not want to get into a big debate or discussion about this so look at it this way: if you wonder whether the book you have chosen is YA, look at how it has been shelved on GR by other readers. If you notice a lot of YA shelves are noted for the book you are wondering about, it is YA.
Books cannot be started before the start of the challenge.
8. Completed tasks must be posted in the appropriate thread in order to receive your points. This format, as an example, will make recording points easier for me:
Bonus Points (which ones and value):
Total New Points:
Please avoid posting large chunks of extra information that is not required as this will convolute the data.
9. The winner of the challenge will be the person who accrues the most points by midnight on the 31st of March, 2011. Completion of all tasks is cool, but we are trying to reward quality reading, not quantity reading or demon-speed reading.
10. Shenanigans highly discouraged.
11. There might be a prize. Or not.
1. Page length Bonus:
a) books longer than 499 pages will receive a 5 point bonus
b) books longer than 699 pages will receive a 10 point bonus
c) books longer than 999 pages will receive a 20 point bonus
2. Translation Bonus: any book read in translation will receive a 10 point bonus.
3. Age of Book Bonus:
a) Publication date between 1950 and 1990 = 5 point bonus
b) Publication date between 1900 and 1949 = 10 point bonus
c) Publication date between 1850 and 1899 = 15 point bonus
d) Publication date between 1800 and 1849 = 20 point bonus
e) Publication date prior to 1800 = 25 point bonus
4. Bloom’s Western Canon Bonus:
Any book appearing on the Western Canon will receive a 10 point bonus
5. Alphabet Bonus: If you can set up your challenge so that either the book’s titles or the author’s last name represent each letter of the alphabet, you will receive a 50 point bonus.
6. TBR Free-for-all Bonus: for every book you read from your TBR that does not fit into any of the challenge tasks, you will receive 5 points.
7. Nonfiction Bonus: for every nonfiction book you fit into the challenge, you will receive 10 points.
8. Multi-Purpose Bonus: for each book that you are reading for another purpose here in Bookish (Big Read, Floor Joist, 42 Days of…, or PSST), you will receive a 5 point bonus.
As this is the first time we are running a challenge, I expect there to be points of clarification that will need to be made and errors corrected. Please do not hesitate in bringing something that needs addressing to our attention.